Saturday 1 July 2017

Rocklands 2017 Pt-1



It has been a week now since I left for South Africa. After a long but comfortable flight with KLM and a night spend in Cape Town we drove up to Rocklands. It is so good being here. The weather is really nice, clear blue skies, and a beautiful Milky way at night.

Up to now I have had 4 days of climbing in good conditions. Climbing feels okay. While I am hardly able to do a 7A on plastic at my home gym Delftsbleau, I did manage to do some 7th grade boulders outside.

I flashed “9 thousand something km to Frankenjura”. It is listed as 7B+ in the topo but it did not feel like a 7B+. It is actually only one hard move on a tiny mono. It is a bit scary to hang on a single finger but if you commit to the move it isn’t all too far to the rail.

The other 7B+ that I managed to do is called MC Moonwalk. The boulder doesn’t look very appealing but it is a beauty to climb. This boulder didn’t go down too easily. I had to work in it for quite some time before I could figure out all the moves. The hardest thing was to place and fix my foot/leg in the large crack.

I managed to do two 7A’s which were both nice but nothing special, a beautiful 6C+ and some other 6th grade boulders.


A selection of the problems can be found in the movie below. Unfortunately, there is no footage of the Frankenjura boulder. Somebody thought I would not be able to flash it so the camera was not switched on….