Monday 18 May 2015

Ascension weekend in Fontainebleau

Just returned from yet another trip to Fontainebleau. Ascension Day was a bit wet. We managed to climb for 2 hours at Gorge aux Chat where I did "Variaspel" in the first try. It was however not a flash because it is a variation on "Sa pelle au logis" which I did before and hence a bit lame actually.


The second day we had an early start and went to Isatis. After warming up I tried "Divine Decadence", which is the sit start of "Surplomb Static" but the first move is so freaking hard I could barely lift my but off the ground. 
When it started to get a bit more crowed we went to the second sector where I spend quite some time on "El Poussif" which also didn’t go well. I could not manage to push hard enough and get my foot on the bulge. 

Some Dutch guys were having a go at the nearby boulder named "El Poussah". They were kind enough to let me use their crashpads so I decided to give that boulder a go as well but had very little confidence in a successful sent. To my surprise my toe was positioned well in the third try and I easily managed to top the boulder. Once your toe is perfectly placed the next moves are beautiful and actually not so difficult anymore. I am very pleased with this result. 

In the third sector of Isatis I finally managed to do the last move of "De Brevitate Vitae". This boulder had turned into a frustrating project. I had been trying it over and over again on several previous trips and the rock-over you have to do to get to the last move failed every single time. This time it worked out well. I am happy to see some progress. 



I also did "le Surplomb Feuillete Gauche" which is quite scary but with lots of crashpads and Ricardo being around to catch me, I had the nerves to top it.

Saturday was spent at Roche aux Oiseaux and Mont Pivot were I did a number of easy boulders but nothing difficult.

Sunday we went back to Gorge aux Chat because a friend of mine got very close to topping his first 7a in Bleau on Thursday so it would give him a couple more hours to try it again. 

I managed to do “la Ritournelle” and “un Franc de Kilometre”.

All in all a successful trip in which I managed to do five 7a’s. My next trip is 8 weeks away which will give me time to train a bit more and get stronger. I will definitively need lots of strength to be able to do the boulders on my wish-list in Rocklands. So much looking forward to go there.