Saturday 2 January 2016

Moe’s Valley + Red Rocks


I have spend my Christmas holidays in the USA. After flying to Las Vegas and a night in Excalibur we hit the road to Moe’s Valley in Utah.

Moe’s is a cozy small bouldering area with boulders arranged in a secluded valley. The rock is sandstone but more feature-rich than Fontainebleau. We spend 3 days bouldering in Moe’s and had a forced rest day because it was pouring rain. 



The area is not populated with a lot of difficult boulders but I managed to do a couple of nice 7th grade boulders. On my wish list was Gription which unfortunately was too wet to send.

Below is a movie of the first part of my trip.



After Moe’s we went to Red Rocks a bouldering area on the outskirts of Vegas. Bouldering in Red Rocks is also on sand stone but different from Moe’s. Most of the boulders are crimpy and powerful. Both finger strength and power are not my strongest points so I struggled on the V6 and V7 boulders. 




Boulders that were less crimpy and more my style were fun to do among which Alexisizer and Bubble Butt. I was very pleased that I managed to do both Monkey Bar right and traverse in the second go. These are powerful problems on small holds in a big overhang.


No major achievements this trip but quite a number of 7th grade boulders and a good training exercise to improve my finger strength and overall power.


Spending the last night of the year in Las Vegas on the Strip was great. After Vegas nothing will surprise me anymore. I definitively want to return to Sin City when I am a bit older.


Below is a movie of the second part of my trip to Red Rocks.



Links to more pictures from Red Rocks and Moe's and be found HERE and HERE